Saturday, February 25, 2006

I should be in the Academy!

For Jeff, who is the only person who'll care.

Okay, here are the categories that I've seen all nominated films:

Picture
Director
Actor
Actress
Supporting Actor
Supporting Actress
Original Screenplay
Adapted Screenplay
Full-Length Animated Picture
Song
Score
Visual Effects
Makeup
Art Direction
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Film Editing
Costume Design

That's 18 folks. There are 2 categories that I've seen at least 1 nominated film: Cinematography (all but "The New World") and Documentary (just "Murderball" which is fanfuckingtastic, by the way) and there are 4 categories that I've seen none of the films (Live Action Short, Animated Short, Foreign Language and Documentary Short.) NOW, starting Wednesday night, the Archives will be playing all of the Docs, Short Docs, Live Shorts, and Animated Shorts, for FREE!!!!, and I am going to try my best to be there for all of them....which probably wont happen as I have to work. I do have time to rent the rest of the Docs, which I will probably do this week (yay straight sixes). So maybe I'll ba able to knock out another category. As for seeing "The New World," did anyone see that?! I know it played here, and it is still playing in Georgretown, but only at 1:15. Needless to say, that ain't gonna happen, especially with the Oscars being in 8 days. Le sigh. Maybe next year. Actually, yeah! Next year.

Oh, and here are my thoughts on the big 8:

Picture
Will win: Brokeback Mountain
Should win: Brokeback Mountain

Director
See above

Actor:
Will: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Should: Heath Ledger, Brokeback

Actress (what a crappy year for the chicks, eh?)
Will: Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line
Should: Really, I'm not thrilled with any of them, so I'll say Laura Linney. She's not nominated, but that woman is the shit!

Supporting Actor:
Will: George Clooney, Syriana
Should: Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man

Supporting Actress:
Will: Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
Should: Amy Adams, Junebug (she is amazing in this role. And on The Office.)

Adapted Screenplay:
Will: Brokeback Mountain
Should: Brokeback Mountain

Original Screenplay:
Will: Crash
Should: The Squid and The Whale

Who wants to argue? Jeff, I'm looking at you!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

doood. sunday, sunday, sunday tomorrow. Shawn's in town. Also, we invited Michael to next Monday's din din. He's interested. Especially if we're playing Munchkin.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Averyslave said...

I have to say, I agree with your "Best Actor" assessment. I think Hoffman is going to walk away with the Oscar, but something about that is bugging me.

Hoffman is amazing, and he deserves to be honored for the career he's put together. But I don't like awarding impersonations. Hoffman did a great Capote, but he had a real Capote to base his performance from. Ledger, on the other hand, created a nuanced, memorable, tragic character from almost thin air. From words on a page. I think that is always the true achievement.

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woman! Update your journal already!

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home