Saturday, September 10, 2005

So, I had this coworker in Ohio...

And we used to talk about how we could get away with saying mean things to a person by prefacing and ending the statement with "I'm just saying." We never really meant the things that we said, such as "I'm just saying, Brad, you're fucking ugly. I'm just saying!" or "You know, Lindsey, you're a moron. I'm just saying." (I think we joked that people in New York would do that, so why couldn't we. I know it's not true but that's not the point of the post.)



There are some days I wish that this practice could actually work in the real world.



But, alas, it doesn't.


Or maybe, there could be a "no retribution" day where you could tell everyone what you thought about them and there could be no retribution. At all. Maybe they wouldn't remember it the next day but they would stop doing whatever damn fool thing they had been doing that would require such a day. But people (myself included) are too sensitive to take criticism. Especially when given point blank like "Hey, so-and-so, stop being such a jackass because you think you're better than everyone on the planet."


PS Faithful readers. None of my animosity towards mankind is directed at anyone who (I know) reads my word vomit. I heart all of you.

I'm just saying.

2 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

i still firmly believe that if you say "that was a good one" whenever you do something to someone else, it automatically makes it A-OK. You could stab someone in the heart with a trident and then say, "Hey, that was a good one." and they couldn't be mad at you.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the phrase: "It's nothing personal". You can apply it to situations that ARE personal, but somehow it lessens the blow. For example, "Yeah, I slept with your girlfriend, but it's nothing personal".

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home