Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Actors vs. Humans?

Why is it that people feel that they are entitled to have access to their favorite actors? I don't just mean reading things about them or seeing everything they do, but actual access. Seeing them in person and them speaking directly to you. All attention on you.

In the STC's Othello, we have a larger than regional theatre name playing the lead: Avery Brooks. (If you know him, you know him. If you don't, Star Trek: DS9.) Anyway, he has a strict policy of not greeting his fans and not signing autographs. He's a private man. Even the stage manager has said few words to him. This makes sense to me. Acting is his job. It's what he does for a living. He doesn't need to sign autographs for people. And he doesn't ask for much in return.

So we had a couple come up to us (house management) during the Sunday evening show. She asks "Can I meet Avery Brooks after the show?" (We have a guest list where the actors and crew can invite people to meet with them after the show. Avery has only put his son on the list.) Lynn, my boss says "No, I'm sorry. Avery has a policy...etc, etc, etc." The woman gets irritated: "Well, can you take something down for him to sign?" Lynn responds accordingly "No." Woman: "Can't you make an exception?" Lynn: "It's not our policy and if Avery made one exception, he'd have to make every exception and he'd never leave the theatre. I'm sorry." Woman: "Well, I don't understand why you can't do this for me." [I shall cut a bit here as this banter went on for a while.] Woman: "Well, you tell Avery that if he doesn't have his fans, he doesn't have a career." and walks away.

Now, I do understand the thrill of meeting a famous person (Paige Davis is very, very nice, by the way. And very tall.) But I can't say that I feel that I was entitled to meet her. Yes, I'm a fan of the show. Yes, meeting her was cool and exciting the first time, but after talking to her over a few days, I remembered that she's just another person. An actor who got a break, but still just a regular person who gets bored and likes potato pancakes. (She's a very funny and nice person.)

But what made this woman think she was entitled to see this man? Why was she so special? Like Avery owes her something. He does his work, she enjoys it. Shouldn't that be enough? Why do people act like that?

And the answer I came up with is this: Britney Spears. It's all her fault.


Now, I definitely know that people will disagree with this post, heck, even I kind of disagree with it when it comes to my favorite celebs. But think about it. Have you ever asked your GYN for her autograph for doing her job?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home